Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Busy times on Grand Bahama Island


On Saturdays I head out to the West End to spend time with Jerrisma and her group of crafty friends. This is the view of the West End as you approach from the east. At one time, the West End was a thriving touristy community.



Every week the group grows by one or two. I hear there are two more women joining us this Saturday. Most of the women wanted to learn how to knit. They are so quiet as they work away. I was kidding them last week about how if we were in Canada, everyone would be yacking away exchanging stories about the who did what and did you hear???? I really enjoy their company and their enthusiasm!!!



On Friday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30, I go to the PACE center with Judy to teach knitting. The centre is for teenagers who are pregnant so they can finish school for the year they deliver in. The main office and classroom are in the building straight ahead and the nursery for the babes is on the left. The girls are off school for 6 weeks after they deliver so they come and go through the knitting class. Also attendance isn't consistent because it is Friday and a couple of times it has been cold so...... Teenagers seem to be the same, no matter what country they are from!!!!!



I know the pic is aweful. I am going to buy a new camera when I get home and figure out what I need but I had to take this pic of the fantastic Grand Bahama's Children's Choir. We went to a concert a week ago Sunday and it was like going to Grand Bahamas Idol for kids 2 to 18. The talent was unbelievable. The leader a Mr. T. is so into his kids and bringing the best out in them and making them feel proud of themselves. You can just feel the love!!!!!! They will do an Easter Concert and I will be there!!!! Outstanding!!!!



The Alexander von Humboldt arrived on Grand Bahama from Germany almost a year ago and we got to sail on her last voyage. Soon she will head back to Europe.


The billowing sails were gorgeous when we got out on the sea!!!! It was no easy task to put them up and take them down.




Here I got to help pull down one of the big sails. That was fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment