Friday, March 22, 2013

Abaco Part 1


Sunrise and the cays off of the East End of Grand Bahama.


Oh how I had to talk to myself into getting into this 9 seater plane on Monday morning at 7:00 a.m. We had to get up at 5!!! A couple of people had told me that it was just like riding in a car and I love fast sports type cars so this really worked in my head. We were in the second row behind the pilot. It was exciting and oh so much fun!!!!


As we aproach Marsh Harbour, which is the capital of the Abacos, we begin to see the many cays along its east coast. 


The luggage is stored in the nose of the plane. When I made the reservation, the woman asked me how much I weighed and for one of the first times in my life, this did not seem like the right time to be lying about my weight or Ray's!!!! This time it was really important to tell the truth!!!!


Are you ready for this? The luggage arrives along with the luggage from a much larger plane on this cart and everyone had to go and fish their luggage out of the pile!!!


We had arranged to stay at Regattas in a two bedroom unit. The pool had this fountain flowing all the time so that as you swam, you got rained on. Not impressed said the woman in the sunglasses and sun hat!!!


Monday we napped a couple of times as we had to rise so early. Shopped in the local grocery store and read and played cards. The internet and tv were not working in the room. Couldn't believe that either!!! On Tuesday morning we headed down to one of the many docks to get a ferry to Elbow Cay. We were going to visit Hopetown.


This lighthouse is one of the major tourist attractions in Hopetown. It has about 106 steps up to the top and I hear the view is great. I just bet it is!!! We could of gotten off of the ferry here but carried on to the next stop. We had no idea of where to get out so I just asked some locals if this was "downtown". We got off and started walking and walking and walking and walking........


The downtown core is made up of a lower and upper road. Both of which are only good for bicycles and golf carts. We had a great visit to the museum and a fabulous lunch at Sip Sip. Good food in the Bahamas!!!! Wonders will never cease!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment