Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog #9 Bad Hair/Good Hair

What fun they had on Saturday at Tristan's 7th Birthday Party in the West End!!! Kids yelling and screaming, music blaring, an abundance of food!!! Perfect!!!



This is Ray's idea of going to the beach!!!

I don't wear makeup. I don't colour my hair. I don't wear 6 inch heals. I don't care what this years "colours" are. I don't care what is in fashion and what's not BUT I DO CARE THAT MY HAIR LOOKS GOOD!!!!! Even when I arrive at my destination via canoe, one of the first things I do is brush my hair. Maybe even a little OCD so I was very careful (I thought) about who I got to cut my hair down here. Highly recommended this cutter was. I thought it was kind of strange that she had my back to the mirror most of the time. Then I noticed she kept sweeping up the back with a brush. Little odd. She used a hair dryer. She used gel. She used a curling iron. I started to wonder what was going on and then I saw it. I was speachless. Yes, I know, a rare occurance. Notice the whispy sides and the slant on the bangs!!!
I went nextdoor to Silk's Cafe to meet Ray for lunch. "What has she done to your hair? You look like a Spanish conquistador." Thanks, I thought I looked like the Flying Nun!!!
Oh, what to do. Why call Jerrisma ofcourse. "Help!!!"

This is Tamika, Jerrisma's daughter, "fixing" my hair. Tamika studied hair cutting, part-time, for 8 years in Washington, DC. She studied "white hair cutting" in school and obviously knew what she was doing!!! Thank you, thank you Tamika. I CAN come out of the house for the rest of my stay on your lovely island.


Happy hair, happy me!!!

Our wonderful landlady, Janet, took us on a road trip the other day. Just to make sure there wasn't a hidden corner of this island that we hadn't seen!!! This is a Catholic Church, originally built in 1843, that is presently being renovated. The two guys working on the inside were so proud of their workmanship that they gave us all their business cards. There is a new modern church on the other side of this one and at one time their was also a school running here. It is in Hunters Settlement.

Approximately 10 years ago, Janet was employed by a company that tried to get a dairy operating on the island but alas in the hurricanes of 2004/5 the dairy above was destroyed. There was a previous dairy at this location but due to the wetness of the land on the north side, the cows got hoof and mouth disease and died. It is interesting to me that only the south side of Grand Bahama Island is used. The north side sits there vacant.

This is taken from the highest point on the island in the Dover Sound area. It is actually a hill. I think this looks like a good place to buy a few acres on the ocean. Just think what you could develop here........

We found this at the end of one road. A dead stop!!!! There is a canal on the other side of this hill and the bridge just never got built. So, this seems like a good place to stop this blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment